Freedom Of The Hills - Paperback
Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills>
Since the publication of the first edition in 1960, "Freedom", as the book is known, has endured as a classic mountaineering text. From choosing equipment to tying a climbing knot, and from basic rappelling techniques to planning an expedition--it's all here in this essential mountaineering reference. A team of more than forty experts--all active climbers and climbing educators--reviewed, revised, and updated this compendium to reflect the latest evolutions in mountaineering equipment and techniques. Major updates include a significant new chapter on conditioning, plus detailed and extensive revisions to rescue and first-response, aid climbing, and waterfall and ice climbing.
From gear selection to belay and repel techniques, from glacier travel to rope work, to safety, safety, and more safety—there is no more comprehensive and thoroughly vetted training manual for climbing than the standard set by Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills, 9th Edition.
Significant updates to this edition include:
- New alignment with AAC’s nationwide universal belay standard
- Expanded and more detailed avalanche safety info, including how to better understand avalanches, evaluate hazards, travel safely in avy terrain, and locate and rescue a fellow climber in an avalanche
- Newly revamped chapters on clothing and camping
- All-new illustrations reflecting the latest gear and techniques—created by artist John McMullen, former art director of Climbing magazine
- Review of and contributions to multiple sections by AMGA-certified guides
- Fresh approach to the Ten Essentials—now making the iconic list easier to recall
The Mountaineers is based in Seattle, Washington, and was founded in 1906. It is one of the largest outdoor recreation and conservation clubs in the United States. In 2009, the organization premiered a new state-of-the-art climbing, sport, and event facility on the shores of Lake Washington. There, as well as at branches throughout the state, it sponsors classes and year-round activities in climbing, hiking, skiing, snowshoeing, kayaking, canoeing, and more
- 9th Edition
- With more than half-a-million copies sold, this is the all-time bestselling mountaineering and climbing title
- Printed on 100% recycled paper
Standard/Free shipping to major capitals takes 2-5 business days (after dispatch), with occasional delays.
Order before 11am - we usually ship the same business day!
Choose Express Post for priority packing and faster shipping.