TIBET OVERLAND NLA
The purpose of this book is to help travellers to explore Tibet in a new way and, where possible, avoid the commercial trappings of ‘bottled tourism’ that have become commonplace in the region. With this guide, a bit of independence and a decent measure of determination and good humour, you can have a unique overland adventure on the Roof of the World.
By Kym McConnell
Hundreds of books written in contemporary times wax lyrical about the lure of Tibet. Nonetheless, no matter how many people visit Tibet, it remains an extraordinary destination.
A unique guide to independent travel across Tibet with detailed information on thousands of miles of overland routes across the world's highest and largest plateau. Includes information on how to get there, where to stay, what to see, route and planning guide for mountain bikers, 4WD, bus, mountain bike, or even yak.
Provides detailed information on over 9000kms (5625 miles) of overland routes with a km-by-km breakdown of these classic journeys:
- Lhasa to Kathmandu
- Everest Base Camp (possible even by bicycle)
- Lhasa to Nam Tso
- Lhasa to Yarlung Valley
- Xining and Golmud to Lhasa
- Chengdu to Lhasa
- Kunming and Dali to Lhasa
- Lhasa to Mt Kailash and Kashgar
- The most detailed and accurate Tibet maps available, based on satellite photography with distances and altitude readings verified by overland travellers.
- Planning and preparation Ð selecting a route, costs, money, what to take, getting there, how to get into Tibet with the correct visa
- Background information Ð history, culture and Tibetan Buddhism Lhasa
- Where to stay, where to eat, what to see Women travellers in Tibet Health and safety Ð avoiding altitude sickness
- Mountain biking in Nepal
"This book prepared particularly with mountain bikers in mind contains a wealth of advice for coping with the many difficulties an overlander in Tibet might face? "
--His Holiness the Dalai Lama
COVID Update Sept 2021: Aus Post is having major delays across the network.
Standard/Free shipping to major capitals takes 2-5 business days.
Order before 11am - we usually ship the same business day!
Choose Express Post for priority packing and faster shipping.